AMERICORPS MEMBER DESCRIPTION
At Changeist, you will work on a diverse team to learn to design, implement and improve spaces for youth to learn and practice change-making skills. Your role will be to recruit diverse youth and volunteers and help them find agency in some of the most challenging issues that we face today. You will do this by creating thoughtful, culturally responsive workshops and experiences to enhance learning. At the end of the program year, the youth you lead will feel more equipped and empowered to take on issues most important to them.
APPLY TODAY to become part of our founding AmeriCorps team!
15 slots available in Los Angeles.
15 slots available in Stockton.
Applications accepted on a rolling basis.
- Recruit middle school, high school, or college aged youth for a 6-10 month learning experience with high energy presentations
- Nurture and cultivate relationships with schools and community based partners to help youth access social justice practitioners and leaders.
- Designing curriculum and learning experiences (field trips) for participants to build community and learn about complex social justice issues
- Coach a small learning community of participants in civic reflection, enhancing their learning and experience
- Creating new programs that take place outside of Saturdays for alumni to further develop their leadership skills or learn about a new career pathway. (i.e. last year we created a program called “Storyist” which is helping youth tell stories with photography and film)
- Analyze formative data to improve the quality of program week to week
- Lead special projects that will build on the current work of the organization
- Bi-Weekly Living Stipend (5th and 20th of each month)
- Post-service Segal Education Award (for those who have not earned the value of two full awards)
- Option to enroll in Changeist AmeriCorps member health insurance program.
- Loan forbearance on qualifying student loans
- A Uniform (hoodie and t-shirts)
- Networking and professional development
- Leadership development training
- Childcare for parents who qualify
- Be between 17-26 years old
- Be a U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident
- Authorization to work in the U.S. is not sufficient
- Those with DACA status unfortunately are not eligible at this time
- Have a GED, high school diploma, some college or college and/or advanced degree
- Have served no more than three terms in an AmeriCorps state or national program
- Agree to pass a criminal background check
- Be able to begin full-time on August 19, 2019